Gluten-Free PB&J Donuts with Strawberry BiPro
Once on a run in college a teammate and I had a man drive by and yell out the window “Eat a donut damnit!” Not really the typical comment I get while running but okay. I don’t often get the opportunity to eat a donut but not necessarily because I do not want one but more because the gluten-free donut option is not usually on the table. I am a firm believer in a balanced diet that includes satisfying cravings. Self-deprivation is the culprit in many midnight pantry raids. Streamlining your diet is a process and it should be treated that way. If you eat dessert every night suddenly stopping will cut the habit for a day or 2 but then by day three you end up eating more of other food to fill that void or you are downing a pint of ice cream. Making changes over time is the best way to change your eating habits and make them stick.
I also love to take recipes that traditionally would be high calorie and/or high in sugar and fat and transform them in ways that make them enjoyable and healthy at the same time. In doing this I am able to cheat my brain into thinking it is eating a decadent meal or dessert and I don’t feel deprived.
So back to the donuts. I was trying to come up with a recipe for my strawberry BiPro that would be different and exciting. I could probably make a cake with it but what good is a cake with a little bit of protein? I wanted the recipe to be usable as a healthy snack but something outside the box. I also knew I needed flavors that would pair well with strawberry. I had been stuck on the idea of PB&J for a while but couldn’t figure out how to incorporate both without overpowering either one of the flavors.
It was at work last Friday when it finally hit me. The topic of donuts came up as we all sat relishing in the idea that the long week was almost over. Apparently there was a groupon on krispy Kreme… Anyway immediately I knew what to do… a PB&J Donut, because who doesn’t love PB&J and donuts? Too keep the strawberry flavor separate from the peanut butter I decided to incorporate the strawberry into the donut batter and top the donut with Peanut Butter. Worked like a charm.
I will say that this is definitely not going to be like your traditional donut but it is the type of snack I look forward to and feel good about eating. I incorporated a natural strawberry jam into the batter in addition the Strawberry BiPro to really pump up the strawberry goodness. I also added Norms Farms Elderberry Wellness Syrup for an extra flavor component and a healthy dose of antioxidants http://www.backdoorsurvival.com/12-reasons-to-include-elderberries-in-your-preps/ – see this link on more about the benefits of elderberry! Instead of using any added oils or butter I used cashew butter which contains healthy fats and lends to a good texture. The combination of the protein from BiPro and addition of healthy fats from the cashew butter and peanut butter makes for a snack that will keep you fuller for longer while holding your energy levels steady. I love using BiPro because it is a naturally sweetened and flavored product with minimal ingredients and high quality whey protein that is lactose and gluten free. Being able to add protein to my baked goods has greatly improved my body’s ability to maintain my blood sugar levels.
For anyone interested in trying out BiPro, my followers get 10% off with code BLOG10. This code is good through 3/24/17 is limited to one use per customer. Hope you all enjoy and stayed tuned as I will be hosting a giveaway on Instagram sometime in August!
PB&J Donuts (CLick here for a printable version!)
*GLUTEN-FREE, LACTOSE-FREE, SOY-FREE
Yield: 12-16 (depends on the size you make them)
· 3 ripe bananas
· 2 eggs
· ¼ cup unsweetened cashew milk (or any other non-dairy milk)
· ¼ cup all-natural strawberry jam
· ¼ cup cashew butter
· 2 scoops Strawberry BiPro
· 1/4 cup coconut flour
· ¼ cup tapioca starch
· 1 tsp baking powder
· ¼ tsp sea salt
· Peanut butter (whatever brand you prefer! I like Earth Balance Coconut Peanut butter!)
1. Preheat oven to 350 and grease a donut pan with coconut oil (trader joes has a coconut oil spray which I love to use!)
2. In a medium bowl mash the bananas then add the eggs, cashew milk, strawberry jam, wellness syrup, and cashew butter. Combine well.
3. In a separate larger bowl combine the BiPro, coconut flour, tapioca starch, baking powder, and salt.
4. Add wet to dry and combine well making sure there are no clumps of coconut flour. If batter runs a bit thin add a little more coconut flour.
5. Using a ¼ cup measuring cup or an ice cream scoop, spoon mixture into donut pan filling it most of the way up.
6. Place in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes checking after 10.
7. Once a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, remove from oven and let cool slightly. Once cool enough to handle remove from pan and top with about a tsp of peanut butter or as much as you would like. You can warm the peanut butter in the microwave to make it easier to drizzle over the top! Enjoy!